Tuesday 28 August 2012

Happy birthday Edward Lear part 2


Sophie Thompson
As my original offering for the London leg of the Happy Birthday Edward Lear exhibition was bought by actress Sophie Thompson (sister of Emma - no I didn't know that either), I had to come up with something else for the Aldeburgh and Southampton events later in the year. 







My starting point was the ever so slightly obvious but eternally engaging 'The owl and the Pussy Cat'. Taking the order of the animals mentioned in the first half of the poem I get - owl, cat, owl ,cat,cat,cat,cat,owl pig. There are enough cat references in our house thanks to daughter Phoebe and rather fortunately my mother has a suitably kitch owl collection. After many initial studies, the drawings are edited, arranged, photocopied and again in reverse ready for a trip to the print room for a day of mono-printing. 



Mono-prints for sale - whole frieze (3 available) or framed individual characters (1 of each available).






No comments:

Post a Comment